A little over three weeks ago, I turned 27. My birthday was a wonderful celebration, seemingly continuing for a good two weeks, and I was utterly spoilt by my family and friends. Mr Posy and I have big plans for the next 12 months – twenty-seven is shaping up to be a fabulous year for me.
Soon after the candles had been blown out, and the last of the cake had been eaten, I started to think about how far I’ve come over the past few years, and where I’m looking to go next. I started to create a list in my head of holidays I wanted to take and goals I wanted to achieve, and before I knew it, my list was so long that ideas were spilling out on to paper.
In three years, I turn 30. People tease that I’m getting old, that I’ll soon be over the hill. Turning thirty doesn’t scare or worry me, it doesn’t fill me with anxiety, but I do have a lot between now and then that I want to achieve. If not now, when?
So I kept adding to my list, until I had my magic number. My 30 by 30 –
Move to Sydney
Stop, absorb, and enjoy our wedding day
Stay in an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora
- Finish a half marathon
- Finish a marathon
Take a cooking class
- Learn to play one whole song on the guitar my great uncle made for me
- See dolphins/whales in the wild [changed from swim with dolphins]
- Take a photography course
- Visit Hawaii
Learn to surf
- Make a soufflé
Drive the scenic route down from Sydney to the Sapphire Coast [changed from drive the Great Ocean Road]
Keep a plant alive
- Take a ballet class [changed from buy a stranger their coffee]
Book in a regular (weekly? monthly? fortnightly?) massage
Dine at La Villa Mahana (Bora Bora) [changed from degustation at Vue de Monde]
- Book a snow holiday
Make my own ice cream
- Buy an amazing piece of art
- Sign up as an emergency foster carer
- Take a design course
Book a beach holiday
Turn off the TV for a week
- Host a Christmas lunch/dinner
Buy myself a pair of diamond earrings
- Land my dream job (or, at the very least, work out what my dream job actually is) [changed from write a novel]
- Organise a fabulous celebration for my 30th birthday
Mr Posy is not too impressed with item no. 25 (I suspect during that week he’ll be sneaking in TV-time when I’m not home), but for the rest of my list, he’s happy to come along for the ride.
I’m looking forward to our adventures over the next few years. This list is exactly what I need to get me out of my funk.
And so it begins!